David P. Petersen, MSW, MHA (LLC)10 Boulder Crescent, Ste 101F
Colorado Springs, CO 80903-3344
Adaptable, motivated clinician and leader with proven program design, development and implementation skills. Bilingual (English / Spanish), oral and written. Interpersonal capabilities with professional, pastoral and lay community. Strong commitment to the delivery of quality human services and to the improvement of community health.
2000 to present: Youth, Family & Community Practice
- Direct Private Practice: Outpatient counseling and consultation with co-occurring physical and psychosocial issues, by PCP referral. Critical incident and crisis intervention, 2004-current. Colorado Springs, Pueblo & Denver, CO.
- Direct Private Practice: Military (TriCare) and civilian individuals and families with full spectrum behavioral issues requiring diagnosis, intervention and referral + Defense Department Medical System consultation, 2000-current. Colorado Springs, CO.
- HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital: Chief Behaviorist on medical team, assessing, treating & consulting care in 60-bed rehab facility, 2011-2015. Colorado Springs, CO.
- Shadow Mountain Recovery: Clinical Consultant for care continuum with adult substance use disordered patients in multi-modal (detox-inpatient-residential-outpatient) settings in Colorado and New Mexico 2013-present. Colorado Springs, CO.
- Pikes Peak Hospice and Palliative Care: Care Provider, urgent and after hours (clinical and pastoral) in interdisciplinary teams assisting patients and families through palliation and decline with terminal illness, 2003-2013. Colorado Springs, CO.
- ReGroup Teen Support: Founded & facilitated group and individual adolescent therapies in concert with undergraduate and graduate academic internships, 2004-2014. Colorado Springs, CO.
- Public Health Consultant: Contract evaluator and interventionist for Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment in El Paso & Teller Counties in STI cases, 2006-2009. Colorado Springs, CO.
1991 to 2000: Criminal Justice Substance Abuse Practice
- Aspen Pointe Behavioral Health: Program Director, correctional therapeutic community in Limon Correctional Facility (close, maximum security), Colorado Department of Corrections, 1996-2000. Limon, CO.
- The New Place: Hispanic Program Coordinator, Outpatient substance use program predominantly serving Spanish-speaking clients of Mexican and Salvadoran descent, 1994-1996. Dallas, TX.
- New York Therapeutic Communities: Senior Counselor, correctional therapeutic community in W. Clements Unit (high security), Texas Department of Criminal Justice, 1993-1994. Amarillo, TX.
- Bexar County Mental Health & Mental Retardation: Forensic Case Clinician, drug-free and opioid replacement outpatient (inner city) clinic, 1991-1993. San Antonio, TX.
1988 to 1991: Seminarian / Priesthood Candidate
- Order of Preachers (Dominican): Seminarian/novice in spiritual and pastoral formation program for Roman Catholic priesthood, 1988-91. San Antonio, TX.
1987 to 1988: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Practice
- Charter Real Behavioral Care: Inpatient behavioral technician and community outreach representative, with both facility (CR) and Rapha Ministries (facility tenant) with adolescent and adult substance use and mental health patients, 1987-1988. San Antonio, TX.
1972 to 1987: Business, Service & Industry
- Petersen Ad Services: Owned & operated full-service advertising agency in south Texas market, producing and placing print and broadcast advertising, 1982-1987, San Antonio, TX.
- KDM Company: Worked in all phases of production, operations and sales in family-owned chemical business, manufacturing specialized agricultural products for herbicide application & processing waste chemicals in environmentally protective reclamation projects, 1972-1977 & 1981-1982. San Antonio, TX.
- Master of Social Work, Colorado State University
- Master of Health Administration, Pacific Western University
- Certificate in Pastoral Lay Ministry, Oblate School of Theology
- Bachelor of Arts, Humanities, University of Texas at San Antonio
- Wilderness First Aid Certificate, Wilderness Medicine Institute, NOLS
- TAB-P Protocol (integrated trauma exposure therapy) Certification
Professional Credentials and Affiliations
- Licensed Addictions Counselor (LAC) – Colorado (#81)
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) – Colorado (#255)
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) – New Mexico (#C-08688)
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) – Texas (#62215)
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker – Wyoming (pending)
- El Paso County Medical Society – Hospital Credential
- Master Educator in Outdoor Ethics (Leave No Trace ©)
- Former state (CO) board member – Nat’l Association of Addictions Professionals
- Current state (CO) board member – National Association of Social Workers
- Former Board President – Latino American Health Network
- Founding board member – Dismas Houses of Southern Colorado
- Founding facilitator – Compassionate Counseling Consortium
Related Experience and SkillsAdvanced skills in urgent care intervention, crisis stabilization, family re-unification, behavioral triage, interdisciplinary & medical behavioral care.
Public speaking on community mental health & focused healthcare initiatives; volunteer work with youth & adults in crisis; work in ecumenical or cross-cultural settings; teaching, training clinicians; advanced outdoor/wilderness trekking & therapy; speak/read/write fluent Spanish (1981-present).
Continuous residence in the Texas Department of Corrections, working final 2½ years as a full-time inmate assistant in correctional chaplaincy (1977-1981); two subsequent recommendations by Texas Board of Pardons & Paroles to successive gubernatorial administrations for full pardon. Detailed background statement provided on request.
Progressive immersion in counter-culture lifestyle, involvement with illegal drugs ending in criminally supported addiction (1967-77).
Detailed work history and references available